Contact:

Please contact me for further information or if you would like to see the range of Happy Days creative resources for young people, activities and materials for people with dementia:
Gillian Hesketh: gmhesketh@yahoo.co.uk or telephone Gillian on: 01253 899163

Sunday 7 October 2012

Childhood ...


Childhood is a journey that could shape a child for the rest of his or her life. That's my favourite sentence at the moment. The possibility of doing a research PhD on Early Intervention; identifying difficulties earlier in life could help some young people form a more positive sense of self, outlook and ensure wellbeing, has been on my mind for some time. Of course, this would take up a massive 3 years - at least - at the same time, I would be continuing with writing the Happy Days Programme, taking on staff to take the programme around the country, developing new products, communicating with my 4 almost adult children, helping them to settle into adult lifework [of course, they can do this themselves but we mothers often like to be on hand in case we're needed, don't we?] and caring for my mum who is 86 and housebound. Prioritise is the word that comes to mind. I would need to manage all of these at the same time - and ensure I could remain alert throughout. I may need a Happy Days Page to help me work it all out!

So, I am about to prioritise. I'm about to follow my own advice. I'm off to somewhere a little warmer for a few days to finish one of my projects: Happy Days Care Home Activities, Memory Boxes and Personal Joggers. With a deadline looming - this is the most important part of my work at the moment. No phone, limited internet access, plenty of fruit, no chocolate [ it melts anyway ] and maybe one unit of alcohol per day will hopefully ensure I won't be able to procrastinate for one minute. Let's hope so because I can't wait to get onto my next project: Self-image packages for young people to learn more about themselves, identify any learn to manage any difficulties, encourage well-being ... here I go procrastinating! Off to pack - limited clothes, one pair of shoes [maybe two], maximum books, theories, case-studies,  quotes, links, notes, diagrams, doodles ...

See you next week everyone, hope the sun shines.
Happy Days,
Gillian

No comments:

Post a Comment